Monday, June 2, 2014

New York Restaurant: Mason & Mug and Taqueria De Los Muertos

A perk of my work travel to NYC is spending time on either end of the trip with my sister Sarah in Brooklyn. On Tuesday we had a low key night planned. We were going to cook dinner and drink lots of water, but we were uninspired and decided to check out the new Mason & Mug a few doors down instead.  

What: Mason & Mug 
Where: 708 Washington Ave, Brooklyn
When: Mon-Thurs 4pm-12am, Sat 7:30pm-12:30am, 12pm-9pm 
Honeys Heart: The name of the restaurant is cute?

Mason & Mug recently opened in Sarah's neighborhood and has been recognized for it's Kosher small plates, beer, and wine. We started with a glass of the Chenin Blanc ($6) which, as the nice gentleman taking our ordered suggested, was refreshing, but also bland. 

For food we went for the Spring Beans with a Deviled Egg ($6). Small plates is right. My first impression (since this was the first dish that arrived of our order) was that it was good, not excellent, definitely not salty enough, and pricey. The deviled egg was the star of this dish with a strong mustard flavor. 


If forced to pick a favorite, the Beet salad ($7) was probably the best thing we ordered. The beets themselves were great and the dressing was light and fresh, but it was simple and again, felt over priced. And again, not any salt. It didn't need much, but come on, let's bring out some flavor!


Lastly, we got our Fish Taco ($7). Yep, you read that right, $7 for ONE fish taco. Okay, so it's kosher, good fish, a decent portion, but it is still a fish taco. Plus, across the street is a taqueria with a killer fish taco for $5. I'm not saying it was bad, I just don't think I can justify the cost per bite here. 



Ultimately we spent $40 and felt completely unsatisfied. How do you solve this? You head to Taqueria De Los Muertos for a pitcher of margs and more food...

What: Taqueria De Los Muertos
Where: 663 Washington Ave, Brooklyn
When: Mon-Thurs 12pm-10pm, Fri 12pm-11pm, Sat 9am-11pm, Sun 9am-10pm
Honeys Heart: Catfish Taco

The last time I was in Brooklyn Sarah introduced me to the Catfish Taco ($5) with masa harina coated catfish, shredded cabbage, cilantro, lime sour cream, and pico de gallo. I was craving it upon my return so when I arrived in Brooklyn early on Monday I had it for lunch and I was not mad about returning the next evening. I should have taken a picture of the taco once we got into it since this picture doesn't do it justice, but it is one of my favorites. 


We also shared a Super Quesadilla ($5.50) with pico de gallo, guacamole, black beans, and sour cream. Quesadillas are just damn good, so you can't go wrong.


Failing at our decision to avoid drinking, we ordered a Pitcher of Premium Margaritas for $15 which was about 4 glasses worth.


Overall our second stop was much more satisfying and only $25.50. If you find yourself in Brooklyn and looking for a taco fix, I highly recommend Taqueria De Los Muertos.

Cheers!