Thursday, December 30, 2010

DIY: Hot Apple Pies

Posted by Katie

It's become a little tradition for my mom and me to try out new drink recipes when I come home for the holidays. Last Thanksgiving, we made these amazing Cranberry Margaritas and last Christmas we tried our hand at Mulled Wine. This year, my mom suggested that we return to a drink that she and my dad used to order during their ski trips to Tahoe: Hot Apple Pies.


Hot Apple Pies are made with Tuaca, an Italian liquor crafted from brandy, sugar, citrus and vanilla. They're so easy to make and they're nice and cozy too. Perfect for a movie night with the fam.

What You'll Need: 


- Tuaca liquor (find it at any liquor store)
- Apple cider
- Whipped cream (make your own...or not)
- Cinnamon sticks

Step 1: Warm the cider with a cinnamon stick or two
I did this on the stove, but you really could just pop the cider in the microwave. Probably without the cinnamon though.


Step 2: Pour 2 oz of Tuaca into each glass
You'll want to use Irish Coffee glasses if you have them. Those are the ones that look like this:


I don't have any of those, so my next choice would be a mug or another glass with a handle since the drinks will be warm. But sometimes you might not have those either. In that case, just make sure the cider isn't too hot so you can hold the glass comfortably.

Step 3: Fill the glasses with warm cider


Step 4: Top with whipped cream and a cinnamon stick
So easy, right?


Enjoy!