Friday, January 15, 2010

Portland: Pope House Bourbon Lounge

Posted by Kelly

Adam's and my friend from high school was living in Northwest for the summer (of 09) while interning at Nike and in his short time here became a regular at the newly opened Pope House Bourbon Lounge (replacing what was once the Brazen Bean). Somehow we never made it there with him until a month ago when he was in town visiting. We tried quite a few drinks, including a shot of their house "moonshine"...never again. We also had the fritters and jambalaya. Both tasty. We had been meaning to go back but didn't make it until last Saturday when we met friends, Jason and Jen, for drinks. As we shared our recent puppy stories and talked about the latest episodes of LOST we snacked on a Plate o' Fries ($4) with chili and cheese, and the Bourbon Balls ($2 ea./3 for $5) which are pretty awesome chocolate covered bourbon truffles (do it!).

FINALLY, Adam and I made it to happy hour tonight which lasts every day 4 to 7pm and all day Sunday. This is great since by the time Adam gets home from work and we muster the energy to get dinner, their happy hour is still happening. We walked, briskly, to the Pope House at 6:50pm and ordered the Country Fritters, with ham and cheese ($4) and a Pulled Pork Quesadilla with bourbon BBQ sauce ($5). Love the fritters.

I wasn't sure I would like the quesadilla because I, unlike Adam, is not a huge BBQ sauce fan, but it was good. I'm glad we were sharing though because I would not have wanted it all to myself.


For drinks we ordered off the happy hour drink menu which offers wine ($4), beer ($3), and a variety of house cocktails ($5). I ordered the Kentucky Bramble since I've been into gin recently, but the mix of gin, rasberry liquor and lime juice wasn't my favorite. Adam had the Slush, which is frozen bourbon, orange juice, lemonade, and tea. This is pretty tasty so it's worth a try if you're like me and don't typically like bourbon, at all.


We enjoyed our food and drinks while watching basketball on the TVs mounted throughout the bar. This restaurant is in an old house so it has a cozy feel, laid back staff and atmosphere, and a pretty good selection of food and drinks. Not a very healthy menu, mostly consists of fried foods or things covered in cheese, bacon, and BBQ sauce, but sometimes that's just what one needs. I'm sure Adam will be back for the Frito Pie ($4), Fritos topped with chili, cheddar, sour cream, onions, and jalapenos.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I heard rumor of a Kentucky Derby party at the Pope House so start looking for your derby hat!