Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Portland Happy Hour: Cafe Nell

Posted by Kelly

Once I decided I wanted to move to NW Portland I walked around to look at apartments and as I walked past the corner of NW 20th and Kearney I smelled something delicious, Cafe Nell. Since that day I have been wanting to eat there, and tonight I finally made it to their happy hour.

The menu includes $4 drink specials, all of which I would gladly drink! Adam enjoyed (like really enjoyed) a champagne cocktail and I will definitely return after sober September to try one of the very appealing martini specials.

The food menu had an awesome variety at affordable prices ranging from $1 to $5. Adam and I had a hard time making choices but managed to eventually narrow it down. We ordered hand cut fries, a pickle and fried onion slider, and grilled chile lime shrimp all for $2 each.



With fall beginning, bringing with it chilly weather and rain, grilled cheese and tomato soup ($5) sounded great, and it was!

A nice surprise was to see a dessert on a happy hour menu. Adam is already a sucker for chocolate so we couldn't pass up a chocolate brownie with caramel sauce ($2). Tasty! We left very satisfied and with only a $17 bill.

The environment is great, with a sofisticated and friendly crowd, a cozy bar and a great couch area where we were lucky enough to sit. Their happy hour is from 4 to 6pm Tuesday through Friday, and 4 to close on Saturday. I highly recommend it and will definitely be back soon! Look out for Cafe Nell Revisited...