Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Portland Happy Hour: Jake's Famous Crawfish

Posted by Kelly

It is amazing how busy life gets after graduation and how few things seem to fit into everyone's schedules! My friend Dena and I lived together in North Portland when we were still students at the University of Portland, and though we only live blocks away from each other now it seems we rarely have a chance to hit up a happy hour.

A couple weeks ago we finally headed over to Jake's Famous Crawfish for a famous Portland happy hour. Owned by McCormick and Schmicks, Jake's has been a "famous" Portland landmark for over 100 years. Their regular menu includes a wide variety of delicious seafood dishes, the last time I went I was impressed by the large portions and great flavors, so I was disappointed to see how few seafood options were on their happy hour menu. Regardless, the food was cheap and the drinks were tasty. We started out with a drink ($8), the name involved "refreshing" and I can't remember the rest, but it had vodka, fresh lime, soda, and fresh green grapes and it was refreshing in the 95 degree heat!

After sipping our drinks, and deciding we weren't in the mood for their yeah, famous, half pound happy hour burger for $2.95 we decided to order the sweet potato fries, blackened chicken quesadilla, and the chicken sliders. Their food prices range from $1.95 to $3.95 and portions are generous so you are sure to find something satisfying that is within any budget!

I'm not sure I would order the sliders again. For me they were a little too fried, spicy, and saucy, though the flavors were good. The sweet potato fries were okay, but once you've had Mint's nothing seems to really compare. I would definitely recommend the quesadilla and our table neighbors had sushi and the humus plate which looked good as well, sorry I couldn't snap a shot! I wasn't too impressed with this happy hour, when I return I think I'll head to the restaurant and order a huge plate of seafood!