Monday, July 20, 2009

Portland Happy Hour: 50 Plates

For weeks I listened to my Aunt Polly rave about 50 Plates. After making multiple plans to go together we finally made it last Thursday. We arrived at 10pm for their late happy hour (which starts at 9) and sat in the bar where we would be served by Evan (my Aunt's fav waiter).

Evan easily convinced us to order two delicious Motini's ($9) to sip while we made food decisions. So good we both ordered another.


Since we had previously had lemon drops and "snacks" at Perry's on Fremont we decided to just share two sliders ($2.50 each). The pulled pork slider is fabulous, and the Old Faithful (with the flag in it, of course) is equally as awesome! In fact they were so good that I forgot to snap a pic when they arrived, but I have a half way photo...


Of course this just wasn't enough for us. We decided to add to our order the kern dogs and the fries. The fries are salty and served in a cute paper bag. The kern dogs are like corn dogs, but made with some type of sausage. My aunt and I had only one major problem with our kern dogs. The large circle kern dog did not fit easily into the small square ramikan that contained the mustard meant for dipping. Evan had mentioned his very busy night and although we figured he was tired and could probably care less about our ramikan situation, we talked about it with him and he gladly brought us a bigger square...I am sure our clever sarcasm was much appreciated.



I am definitly glad my Aunt Polly finally introduced me to 50 Plates, I have already been back and Polly and I have our return date planned! I highly recommend their happy hour and if you go, ask for Evan.

Pic of Polly and I from her iPhone